Deployment began with Dave's K-Shooters tromping across the snow to within control range of one of the Karman Crystals. A large unit of Karman Kaptars marched over to the other Karman Crystal - Dave was well on his way to collecting quite a few reinforcement points (RP). My first few deployments included dashing Tiamat over to the Western edge of the building - behind some cover - and having her generate a Hekat Golgoth. From there, Dave deployed a small unit of Kaptar(?) snipers, and his King Buggy. And, I deployed a unit of Bane Goliaths, a Wraith Golgoth, and a small unit of Storm Golems.
The firefight started pretty quickly with Dave putting a serious hurting on Tiamat, and taking her out of the battle. I had no choice but to make use of her Body Hacking ability - and, though it hurt, I had to sacrifice my Wraith Golgoth to have her reform. That tactic paid off in the end, because she was able to pump out Hekats throughout the mission, which harassed Dave's infantry units and drew a lot of fire from his K-Shooters and the King Buggy.
After Tiamat's reformation, my Hekat charged Dave's snipers and tore them to pieces. It didn't last long after that; the Buggy seriously damaged it, and the Kaptars did a little ripping and tearing with their power grips. Ouch! Check out the pic and see how many filthy apes are clustered around that Hekat! :)
Starting off within the building was a huge advantage to my Therian company. I quickly was able to seize victory point markers and camp on them with infantry, putting them into overwatch - discouraging Dave's advance into the building. He was able to collect some VP from the markers near the Western entrance but not quickly enough, compared to my entrenched infantry. Dave was popping Hekats left and right, but they served to slow down his advance.
Eventually, Dave threw caution to the wind and moved within the building with his Kaptars and the King Buggy. I brought a Succubus Golgoth in from reserve (which was useless thanks to my dice rolling). The entrance of the Buggy triggered my Bane Goliaths' overwatch and they did some serious damage to the Buggy. They didn't destroy it, but they blew off many of its weapons and destroyed its propulsion. One of my Hekats ran around the outside of the building and chewed up a unit of K-Shooters by one of the Crystals.
At this point, we were on the final turn, as I was within range of collecting 20VP and winning the mission. My early control of 2 of the VP markers was really the deciding factor. The mission ended 20VP to 9VP.
P.S. I have Rob to thank for the photos for this BattRep. He got some nice ones.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to play with the settings on my digcam, though, because some of the close-up shots - that I didn't post - were seriously washed out with flash.
I am admittedly a terrible photographer. Glad there were some workable ones in there.
ReplyDeleteFun match to watch. When Dave obliterated Tiamat I was like, "Damn!", then Tiamat all bodyhacked and I was like, "Whaaaa?!". Stoopid Therian nano-routines....
Cool write up and pics guys!
ReplyDeleteBodyhacked?
Bodyhacking is a special ability of the Therian hero, Tiamat. When she's killed, you can reactively spend a leadership point and sacrifice a specific type of unit to have her regenerate.
ReplyDeleteIn fluff terms, Tiamat can manipulate nanobot swarms to repurpose her own infantry - stripping them down to their base molecules and rebuilding them into her form, and transfering her consciousness into this new body.
I guess I owe somebody 4 gigabucks:-(
ReplyDelete[Nice nanoswarms!]
We've got one battle left in Turn 1, next Tuesday, where Dave's monkeys take on Rob's space Russians. So, maybe you'll only be down 2 gigbucks :). Personally, I'm rooting for the monkeys - cause I don't want Russians invading my sectors.
ReplyDeleteI know at least Ruth must be rooting for the Space Russkies... Ruth?
ReplyDelete